“Reprinted [or Excerpted] with permission from Assessing Outcomes and Improving Achievement: Tips and tools for Using Rubrics, edited by Terrel L. Rhodes. Copyright 2010 by the Association of American Colleges and Universities.”

4 - Exemplary

3 - Good

2 - Developing

1 - Unsatisfactory

4.b.1

Contributes to Team Meetings

Helps the team move forward by articulating the merits of alternative ideas or proposals.

Offers alternative solutions or courses of action that build on the ideas of others.

Offers alternative solutions or courses of action that minimally advance the work.

Shares ideas but does not advance the work of the group.

4.b.2

Facilitates the Contributions of Team Members

Engages team members in ways that facilitate their contributions to meetings by both constructively building upon or synthesizing the contributions of others as well as noticing when someone is not participating and inviting them to engage.

Engages team members in ways that facilitate their contributions to meetings by constructively building upon or synthesizing the  contributions of others.

Engages team members in ways that facilitate their contributions to meetings

Engages team members by taking turns and listening to others without interrupting.

4.b.3

Individual Contributions Outside of Team Meetings

Completes assigned tasks by deadline; work accomplished is thorough, comprehensive, and advances the project. Proactively helps other team members complete their assigned tasks to a similar level of excellence.

Completes all assigned tasks by deadline; work accomplished is thorough, comprehensive, and advances the project.

Completes all assigned tasks by deadline; work accomplished is thorough, comprehensive, and minimally advances the project.

Does not complete  assigned tasks by deadline and/or  tasks are not thorough/complete

4.b.4

Fosters Constructive Team Climate

Supports a constructive team climate by doing all of the following:

• • Treats team members respectfully by being polite and constructive in communication.
  • • Uses positive vocal or written tone, facial expressions, and/or body language to convey a positive attitude about the team and its work.
  • • Motivates teammates by expressing confidence about the importance of the task and the team's ability to accomplish it.
  • • Provides assistance and/or encouragement to team members.

Supports a constructive team climate by doing any three of the following:

• Treats team members respectfully by being polite and constructive in communication.
  • Uses positive vocal or written tone, facial expressions, and/or body language to convey a positive attitude about the team and its work.
  • Motivates teammates by expressing confidence about the importance of the task and the team's ability to accomplish it.
  • Provides assistance and/or encouragement to team members.

Supports a constructive team climate by doing any two of the following:

Supports a constructive team climate by doing any one of the following:

4.b.5

Responds to Conflict

Addresses destructive conflict directly and constructively, helping to manage/resolve it in a way that strengthens overall team cohesiveness and future effectiveness.

Identifies and acknowledges conflict and stays engaged with it.

Identifies and acknowledges conflict and but has little engagement with it.

Passively accepts alternate viewpoints/ideas/opinions.

When our group was first assigned this assignment we had four members to our group.  Team member number four was eliminated from the group for lack of participation.  Therefore, our group was left with a total of three members to be described at team member no. 1, no. 2, and no. 3.

Regarding 4.b.1.:  I feel all members did a wonderful job of coming up with an idea of how to help other countries in the world.  Team member number 1 came up with the initial idea and team member 2 and 3 jumped directly onboard.  Team member number 2 did an exemplary job because she immediately started researching the group's idea.  Team member no. 3 offered alternative ideas regarding the intial course of action.  I feel team member no. 3 deserves a (3) Good, in this section.  Additionally, I feel team member no. 1 also deserves a (4) Exemplary for she intially came up with the idea and the idea was and is a wonderful idea that will help Ethiopia's people.

Regarding 4.b.2.:  Team member no. 1 continually tried to schedule a time for all members of the group to meet.  It was very difficult to get the group together because one member of the team has a very ill husband and three children to tend to as well as keep her studies up at school.  Another member of the group works and has a full-time schedule, which leaves little time for her to meet with the group because she has such a full schedule.  Additionally, the last team member also has a loved one with a disability and children at home so it was a huge challenge trying to coordinate with everybody's schedules.  I feel each member deserves an exemplary in this area because each of tried very hard to facilitate the contributions of team members.  

Regarding 4.b.3.:  I feel team member no. 2 definately deserves an exemplary in this area because she completed the assigned tasks by the deadline as well as sent emails to everybody in the group to discover she rarely got a response from the others in the group.  Team members 1, and 3 should receive a "Good" in this area because of not checking the emails on a daily basis and answering team member no. 2's emails.  

Regarding 4.b.4.:  I feel team member no. 1 was exemplary in this department for she treated team members respectfully by being polite and constructive in communication.  I felt she used positive vocal or written tone, facial expressions, and/or body language to convey a positive attitude about the team and its work.  I know she motivated teammates by expressing confidence about the importance of the task and the team's ability to accomplish it.  Additionally, she provided assistance and encouragement to team members.

Team member no. 2 had a lot of anger and dissatisfaction with group members.  She was discouraged because she felt as if all members were not on board with her.  I feel that team member no. 2 did not always join the group with a postive attitude and I feel she discouraged other's ideas.  Therefore, I would give her a (2) Developing in this area.  I feel team member no. 3 in this area should receive (4) Exemplary for she always had a great attitude and was very reliable and dependable.  

Regarding section 4.b.5.:  I feel the entire group deserves an Exemplary in this area because there was constructive criticism and although it was a challenge for all of us, I feel we accepted it and made ourselves better and our speech stronger by listening to what other group members had to say to each member to help better the speech.  

I feel this was a very challenging assignment and although we had a rough beginning with coordinating a time where all group members could meet, it all worked out very well.  I am so proud of each member of our group because I feel we gave a great speech and I would love to work with this group again in the future.  

This assignment is based upon a group assignment that was assigned one week ago.  According to what I have observed thus far, I feel our group will work out well in the end. The group will feed thoughts and ideas from each other.  Regarding “bad apples”, I do not feel we have a bad apple in the group; however, I did feel tension in the air and felt as if one student was belittling another.  Although, I totally disagree with belittling others, I do feel that different points-of-view on the same question will lead to a much stronger and thought-processed answer.  The only other problem I noticed with my group was I had a difficult time hearing some of my group members because of either the person being soft-spoken or by the large volume of noise in the room during discussion times.  In regards to the other Bad Apple behaviors, I do not feel our group will have any slackers or depressive pessimists.  I felt our group was much attuned with each other, but like I said before, it was difficult to hear everybody’s opinion and or answer to a question.   I enjoy analyzing people and the responses to certain questions they respond to.  I feel this is an asset to the group in that I am coming to the table with an opened mind.  I feel if you understand the reason why a person said what he or she said, you will be able to get on that person’s same page, per se, and listen carefully to others ideas and or solutions will only give me and the other members of the group more ideas to build upon.