The designs began by first looking at a systematic breakdown of what needed to be accomplished.
The functional system breakdown of what the rocket must do is seen here;
The final production rocket needs to reach an altitude of 10,000 feet, obtain data, and retun to ground safely.
- Launch Vehicle
- Propulsion - Ensures the launch vehicle will attain 10,000 feet.
- Safe Ascent - Ensures that the launch vehicle maintains structural integrity.
- Safe Return - Ensures no damage is attained as launch vehicle returns to ground.
- Data Acquisition - Ensures quality data is attained and recorded.
- Data Processing - Ensures data is readable and stored.
- Data Transmission - Transmits data to ground station.
- Ground Support
- Data Reception - Receives transmitted data from launch vehicle.
- Vehicle Recovery - Ensures launch vehicles landing location is sent to ground station.